Our calendar of events lists outdoor participatory sports throughout Arkansas. Feel free to search through the categories or tags. There is a lot happening so make your plans today.
WHO’S READY TO DO THIS AGAIN?!!! It’s time to sign up for the 5th Annual Christmas Eve Pinnacle Mountain Sunrise Hike! Last year was absolutely AMAZING! With over 250 friends and family, Santa’s and Reindeer, we sat out with our nose so bright (headlamps) and began our trek up Pinnacle Mountain’s State Park West Summit Trail to witness an amazing sunrise! All the Santa’s and Reindeer sat atop the mountain with coffee, hot chocolate, and cameras in hand and watched the sunrise to kick off our Christmas holiday with festive cheer! I couldn’t think of a better way to start Christmas Eve! So, it’s time to begin planning this year. With the continued growth of this event, Pinnacle Mountain State Park has agreed to provide Park Interpreter, Kellie Nichols who will assist us in making it even better than before! Kellie will not only hike up with us, but she will also ensure the park gates are opened promptly at 6 am as well as the restroom facilities! THIS IS GREAT! (Remember, the event starts at the West Summit trailhead. The East trailhead gate will NOT be opened.)
This is a FREE self-guided event open to the public.
Here is a list of items to bring:
1. Antlers, Santa hats or other festive wear MANDATORY!
2. Arrive any time after 6 am, Tuesday, December 24th at the Pinnacle Mountain West Summit trailhead. Both the West Summit park gate and the overflow parking will be opened!
3. The park has asked that no one show up before 6 am as the gates will not be open and it would cause street congestion.
4. you may start up as soon as you arrive!!! No tickets for headcounts this year. Sunrise will be at 7:13 am.
5. Headlamp or alternate source of light MANDATORY! It will be dark on the climb.
6. Layer clothing. It will be cold at the start and you may need to shed some layers toward the top.
7. Wear good, solid hiking shoes
8. Water, coffee, hot chocolate or snacks as desired.
9. This is a self-guided hike, meaning everyone will be responsible for themselves, their children or dogs.
10. Don’t forget your phone or camera. Use hashtags #arstateparks #lightuppinnacle #xmasevesunrisehike when posting to the event page or social media.
11. Remember to leave no trace behind and carry out any trash you may have. We all did such a great job of respecting our mountain and park last year!
12. Let’s all have fun, be safe and welcome in the holiday with a gorgeous sunrise at the top! We can’t wait to see you all again!
Feel free to share with anyone you think would love to join us!