Our calendar of events lists outdoor participatory sports throughout Arkansas. Feel free to search through the categories or tags. There is a lot happening so make your plans today.
Race Information: White Rock Classic 50K
- No Fees, No frills, No WIMPS!
- Race begins on Road 1003 (White Rock Mountain Road) just off Highway 23, about a mile north of the Mulberry River (near Cass).
- Part of the 2016 – 2017 AURA Ultra Trail Series
- There is no entry fee but a small donation to help cover costs would be appreciated.
- Refreshments will be near the finish line starting at 1:00 pm
- If doing the 50K and not confident of a 5:00PM finish you are welcome to start early. (study the map, you will be unsupported till the aid station volunteers get set up).
- Please keep your own time and sign in at the top (past the aid station at the lookout) and at the finish to be included in the results.
- You must sign out before leaving or you will be charges for search and rescue.
- The 50K course runs to the top of White Rock Mountain, then retraces back to the start.
- The course is run on well maintained forest road.
- Aid is set up approximately every 5 – 6 miles.
- PLEASE NOTE: If for some reason you plan to NOT to run back, you MUST plan ahead to arrange your own ride back to the start. No shuttling will be available.
- Course Map
- Course Elevation Profile, compliments of Jeff Genova – Thanks Jeff!
Approximate cumulative elevation changes:
Out/up: 3500′ total climb, 1900′ total descent
Back/Down: 1900′ total climb and 3500′ total descent
- This 50K is very challenging and not recommended for those who have not at least completed a marathon (or run 26 miles) recently. It is guaranteed to help work off those Christmas holiday pounds before the Valentine Candy arrives.
- Cancellation Policy: We reserve the right to cancel the race due to inclement weather or unsafe road conditions. Both the condition/width of the roads and the snow height and ice will be taken into consideration when making the final decision. In other words, don’t go if the weather is bad! Remember this is for fun, fellowship and recreation. This race has been cancelled in the past due to bad weather.
- Course closes by 5 pm. Early starts are accepted if you anticipate not completing the 50K under 8 hours. Note: There will be a few awards given–early starters are not eligible for awards.
- Brought to you by Lisa Gunnoe, PoDog Vogler, and the Arkansas Ultra Running Association (AURA)
- Questions: e-mail Lisa
- Parking at the start is limited.
- If you can, park at the Turner Bend store–at the Mulberry River bridge on Highway 23 and carpool to the start.
- If you park at the start pull over to the right as much as you possibly can. An ambulance must be able to get by you and they are wide.
- All cars must park on same side of road, left/South.
- Please use the restrooms at the Turner Bend Store (please show gratitude by purchasing something).
- There are no restrooms in the campground at the start. If you need to go, walk up the road, away from the campground, and leave no trace.
- This has been a problem in the past and we may loose our permit so – LEAVE NO TRACE!!!
- Male: Brian Hurley, 3:53:06 (2014)
- Female: Chrissy Ferguson, 4:44:25 (1999)
- Male (Brannon Cemetery start/finish): Cole Crosby, 3:53:55 (2012)
- Female (Brannon Cemetery start/finish): Katie Helms, 5:14 (2012)
Race Information Styx n’Stones Trail Run
- Time/Location: 8:00AM. Day Use Pavilion.
- Distance: Approximately 30K (18.6 miles). The short option is 15K (9.3 Miles).
- Aid: There will be aid stations. This will include water, sports drink and light food. Water bottle highly recommended.
- FEE: No fees. No frills. No wimps. No whining. Donations to help cover costs are appreciated. There will be a donation can at the sign-in table.
- Ultra Trail Series: This race is part of the UTS. More information on the UTS
- Timing: Please keep your own time and sign in at the finish. Results will be posted on www.runArkansas.com
- Difficulty: This is a long race on difficult, technical trail.
- Gaiters recommended: expect any combination of sticks, stones, boulders, mud, scree, grit, trail debris, rocks, sand, slippery rocks, roots, loose rocks…
- Much of the trail is very technical. Don’t plan to run a personal best here. Enjoy the great outdoors and exercise your demons.
- Major climb the first two plus miles. Gnarly climb at ~13 miles.
- Six hour time limit. Runners passing the 9-mile checkpoint after 10:50 AM will be required to stop at 15k. Assume the 30k will take nearly as long as a road marathon.
- From the north, I-540 to the West Fork exit, right on Highway 170.
- From the south, I-540 to the Winslow exit, Left on Highway 74.
- Race Information: Mark DenHerder
- Devil’s Den State Park trails http://www.arkansasstateparks.com/things-to-do/trails/search.aspx?parkid=4
Ouachita Trail 50 Endurance Run
50 Mile and 50K Information
Date: April 18, 2020
Location: Maumelle Park, Little Rock, Arkansas, Pavilion # 8 (see map and directions)
Starting Time: 6:00 AM (Prompt) for both races. Runners must check in at the pavilion between 5:00 and 5:45 AM.
Packets: Race packets may be picked up at Pavilion #8 from 4:00 to 7:00 PM on Friday, April 12th, or between 5:00 and 5:45 AM race morning.
Course: A picturesque climb over Pinnacle Mountain followed by an out-and-back along the shore of Lake Maumelle. Course includes six miles of asphalt and the remainder on scenic, rocky, single-track trail. Pinnacle Mountain trails will be utilized on the “out” portion only. Several highway crossings will be involved. There will be no traffic control. Please be responsible and be careful!
Trail: The Ouachita Trail is a single track foot path on which no bikes or motorized vehicles are allowed. The trail is permanently marked with blue blazes. Turns are marked with two blue blazes. Additional markers (blue ribbons) will be out.
Aid: Eleven staffed aid stations for 50-mile; seven for 50Km. (See mileage/aid station chart.) Carrying at least one fluid bottle is HIGHLY advised.
Crew access: Crews can meet runners at East Pinnacle Parking Lot, West Summit Trailhead, Northshore, and the Hwy 10 turnaround only.
Drop Bags: Drop bags will be taken to the 16 and 36-mile aid station (Northshore), and to the turnaround point for the 50 mile (Highway 10). Please label dropbags with your name and “Northshore” or “Hwy 10” to avoid confusion. Bring all bags to the race check-in between 5:00 and 5:45 AM. Bags will be returned to the finish area after the race.
Cut-off Times: There is a 13-hour time limit for both races. Runners registered in the 50 Mile have the option to change to the 50Km during the race. To continue in the 50 Mile race, a runner must exit the Northshore aid station by 10:15 AM (out-bound) and 3:30 PM (returning), and the Hwy 10 Turnaround aid station by 12:50 PM. These cut-off times will be strictly enforced.
Awards: Finishing awards to each 50K and 50 Mile finisher. Overall awards to first male and female finisher in the 50K and 50 Mile. Awards will be presented as you finish.. Technical shirts to all entrants. Food will be provided at the finish – hamburgers, hot dogs, etc.
Race Director: Chrissy Ferguson, e-mail (Preferred) OT50@RunArkansas.com ; phone 501-803-9411