Due to the need for social distancing surrounding the COVID-19 situation, many of the events listed on our calendar have been canceled or had the dates changed. We are not currently taking down events as we haven’t received any definitives from most event organizers. WE RECOMMEND that you contact the race director or organizer before registering for any event in the next couple of months. We will attempt to keep you informed as we get more information. Thanks.
Our calendar of events lists outdoor participatory sports throughout Arkansas. Feel free to search through the categories or tags. There is a lot happening so make your plans today. Please remember, these are not our events but a listing of Arkansas events that we share through Arkansas Outside.
YOU! The Turkey Trot 5k is open to anyone willing to participate.
The route will begin and end in front of the Lyon Gymnasium, past Monticello High School, Drew Memorial Hospital, and back to campus.
Kids 12 and under
1 Mile Run/Walk
The route will begin in front of the Lyon Gymnasium, once around the Monticello High School track, and back to campus.
The 1 Mile Run/Walk will begin close to 10 a.m., after all 5K participants have completed the course.
Vera Lloyd Presbyterian Family Services
Annie B. Wells Campus
745 Old Warren Road
Monticello, AR 71655
A Thanksgiving Day Tradition.
The Turkey Trot has grown into the undisputed way to begin Thanksgiving Day for thousands of runners across the nation. Little Rock upholds this tradition with The Go!bbler.
Join hundreds of runners, walkers & holiday merrymakers for a little pre-turkey “trot”.
Free Family Fun Run.
A Group Run, no entry fee, no chips, no timing but a whole lot of fun. Run options of 3, 4 or 6.5 mile routes include road, track or trail (4 & 6.5 mile have trail).* Meet Santa, * Costume Prizes, * Enter to Win a Pie * Commemorative Go!bbler Shirts for sale.
FREE family run – simply bring a canned food or cash donation for the Arkansas Foodbank. Click here to enter for this Free Run.
Register to run and be eligible to win a Prizes (to be announced later). This year, due to the costs we will incur to put on this ever growing fun run, we are asking for an small optional donation that can be made during registration to offset the cost of additional expenses like porta-potties and police help.
Awesome commemorative long sleeve shirts will be available for $25. These are super soft and comfortable “Comfort Color” shirts. Preview here!
SANTA will be here run morning to collect your canned goods, non-perishable food items and cash donations as your entry fee into The Go!bbler Turkey Trot. Last year, through your generosity, we donated over 2,300 lbs of food to the Arkansas Food Bank, right at the time of year they needed it most!
NEW in 2019 – The Tiny Trot!!
This if for our little runners and walkers, ages 0 to 8, who might not be able to take on the Go!bbler routes. This fun event will start 10 minutes after the Go!bbler participants take off. The closed course will be a short loop that starts and finishes in front of the shop. Kids must be accompanied, but you don’t have to run with them on this spectator friendly course. Just get them to the start line and cheer them across the finish line!
A fun course that will cover many aspects of running such as road, track, trails, and other “surprises” that is essentially a tour of Hillcrest and The Heights. The race begins next to Go! Running and finishes back at the store. Please note, there will be very limited traffic control on this course and runners are responsible their own safety when crossing roads.
There will be run options of 3 miles, 4 miles, and 6.5 miles tha same as last year.
The 4 and 6.5 mile options ARE NOT stroller friendly, due to the single track trail.
Click HERE for the 3 and 4 mile routes, click HERE for the 6.5 mile route.
A water stop will be on the course, at 2.25 miles on the 4 mile route, and at 4.5 miles on the 6.5 mile route.
Questions? Come by the store, or call 501-663-6800
Refreshments. Water, drinks, and light refreshments will be available after the run.
Items that are needed by the Foodbank:
- Cornbread/stuffing mix
- canned meat
- cranberry sauce
- canned veggies
- mashed potato mix
- canned/instant gravy
- canned sweet potatoes
- mac and cheese
- canned fruit
- canned pumpkin
- nuts, all varieties
- Pies (shelf stable)
Most Americans live well enough to enjoy the holidays, but for many of our nation’s Sheep Dogs – former and current Veterans and First Responders (Law Enforcement, Fire & Rescue & EMS professionals), that is not the case. These courageous men and women put their lives on the line for us each and every day, giving us the gift of protection and security. It’s time for us to give them and their children the gift of a Merry Christmas.
Your participation in (or donation to) the NWA Turkey Trot provides the funding needed for our Christmas Outreach program, which gives the children of struggling Sheep Dogs gifts to open at Christmas.
**Registration and T-shirts**
Held every Thanksgiving morning, our Turkey Trot for Heroes 5K is an exciting event that garners the full support of local runners, running organizations and our communities.
In addition to the traditional 5K run, we have a Wild Gobbler 5K (a 5K with 5 stations of exercises throughout the route dedicated to Fallen Heroes), a 1-Mile Fun Run/Walk, and a Virtual 5K.
Proceeds from the race fund our Disaster Response and Outdoor Adventure programs, allowing SDIA to help fellow Sheep Dogs Get Off The Couch and reengage in living a meaningful and productive life with a renewed sense of purpose.
Our Turkey Trot for Heroes 5K can be held at any of our Team/Chapter locations, and we welcome others to host this event in their area, too.
Don’t miss this opportunity to Get Off The Couch and help our nation’s heroes! Click here to register for this year’s event.
Beneficiaries: Proceeds from the Turkey Trot will provide the children of Sheep Dog families in need with toys, clothing, and other necessities this Christmas.
Sheep Dog Turkey Trot 5K Event Race Description
The 2016 Turkey Trot 5K event is coming on Thanksgiving morning, November 24th at the Outlets of Little Rock, the newest and most talked about shopping venue in central AR. There will be a traditional 5K race, a 1 Mile Fun Walk and the Wild Gobbler 5K Run (w/ five exercise stations on the route). The final leg of all three races will wind through the shopping center itself and end at the common area. The event will benefit our Christmas Outreach program where we provide Christmas gifts to the children of military and first responder families in need in Central AR. Each child will receive toys from their wish list, clothing, shoes and other items they otherwise would not have received. The mission of SDIA focuses on supporting the unique needs of military and first responders “Sheep Dogs” and their families.
Wild Gobbler – 5K Adventure Run details:
Run to Station 1
- Station 1 Movement – Diamond Push Ups – In memory of Tyrone Woods, former US Navy SEAL, killed on Sept 11th, 2012 while defending the U.S. Consulate in Benghazi, Libya. Tyrone was working at a CIA annex close to the Consulate when it came under attack. He was one of only a few responders able to make it to the U.S. Consulate in an attempt to rescue the U.S. Ambassador. Our workout reps in honor of Tyrone are based on the date he was killed, 9/11/12, for a rep count of 32…you will do 32 Diamond Push Ups.
Run to Station 2
- Station 2 Movement – Side Lunges – In memory of Master SGT Dan R. Wassom, Unit 189th Airlift Wing, AR Air National Guard, who was killed on 27 Apr 2014 during the tornado outbreak in Mayflower and Vilonia. MSGT Wassom died while using his body to shield his 5 yr old daughter Loriei as a tornado destroyed their home. Our workout reps in honor of Dan are based on his age, 31. You will do 31 Side Lunges. One lunge to the right and then to the left count as 1 rep.
Run to Station 3
- Station 3 Movement – Burpees – In memory of Deputy Sherri Jones of the Bowie County Texas Sheriff’s Office who was attacked and killed at the Bowie County Courthouse while transporting a prisoner for trial on 18 Apr 2011. Our workout reps in honor of Sherri are based on her End of Watch date 4/18/11. You will do 33 Burpees.
Run to Station 4
- Station 4 Movement – Four Count Mountain Climbers – In memory of Senior Chief Petty Officer Thomas A. Ratzlaff, Navy Special Warfare Operations (SEAL) Senior Chief Ratzlaff who was killed in Afghanistan when the CH-47 Chinook helicopter (Call Sign “Extortion 17”) in which he was riding was shot down. Our workout reps are based on the number of U.S. military personnel who were killed along with Tom, 31. You will do 31 Four Count Mountain Climbers.
Run to Station 5
- Station 5 Movement – Jumping Jacks – In memory of Capt. Donald Jones, a Jacksonville, AR firefighter who was killed March 19th, 2012 while working the scene of an accident. A fellow fireman and police officer were also injured during the incident. Capt Jones was a 31 year veteran firefighter. Our workout reps in honor of Capt Jones are based on his age and the date he was killed…3/19/12, for a total of 65…you will do 65 Jumping Jacks.
Run to Finish Line
Please contact any one of the following SDIA event organizers with questions:
Jeff Watts – email@example.com