State series rides/races are ubiquitous with the growth of various outdoor recreation in Arkansas. Ultra-runners have a series, the Arkansas chapter of the Road Runners Association of America, and mountain bikers have a Series. At one point, we had the Arkansas Super-Prestige Cyclocross Series, we even had a Sprint Adventure Race Series back in the day. Gravel Grinding has not had that presence in Arkansas, until now.
Bobby Rickard, known for the Natural State Bikes Podcast and an avid gravel rider, has developed the Arkansas Gravel Series. I had the opportunity to switch places with Bobby recently on the podcast and interview him about the series. You can listen to it below.
The series consists of 8 rides in the inaugural year, spread across the state. Racers may treat the events as rides or races with points awarded to all ride starters. The monthly events will be held on Saturdays starting April 29 at Prairie Grove and finishing November 18 at Siloam Springs. In between, participants will enjoy a great exploration of gravel riding around the state.
- April 29, 2023 – Prairie Grove – The Battle for Prairie Grove – Register
- May 13, 2023 – De Queen – The CossaTaco – Register
- June 17, 2023 – Wynne – Delta Dash – Register
- July 22, 2023 – Russellville – Piney Creek – Register
- August 12, 2023 – Leslie – Chocolate Roll – Register
- September 9, 2023 – Conway Gravel Grinder – Register
- October 14, 2023 – Paragould – The Cotton Belt Classic – Register
- November 18, 2023 – Siloam Springs – The Siloam Shuffle – Register
Bobby has developed a very informative website complete with registration links and route maps (some routes are still under development and will be uploaded as soon as they are finalized.