It was a busy year for outdoor recreation in Arkansas. Announcements of upcoming cycling events in Northwest Arkansas like Outerbike and OZ Trails Epic made big news in Bentonville. We got a couple of new statewide groups like the Governor’s Advisory Council on Cycling and the Arkansas Park and Recreation Foundation came along to help continue to propel Arkansas into a national outdoor recreation destination. Here are our top 10 articles from 2017. See if you missed anything.
Readers top visits
10. 2017/18 National Mountain Bike Marathon Championships – A story that actually came out in 2016 remained popular throughout 2017, Maybe because there is another race coming up later this year. (total views: 1089)
9. Indoor Climbing, Fitness & Yoga Facility to be Built in Bentonville – One of the top articles was a new indoor feature in Bentonville. A highlight of 2018 will be the opening of this new facility. (total views: 1168)
8. Two Wildfires Burning Near Boxley Valley – The draught at the end of the year had an obvious effect on outdoor recreation. Besides the lack of whitewater opportunities it also put most of the state under burn bans. Our readers were very concerned about wildfires near the Buffalo National River. (total views: 1191)
7. Leaf it Be? – Nothing stirs up our readers like the argument, to blow leaves or not to blow leaves. It’s surprising how many strong feelings there are about blowing leaves on trails. (total views: 1320)
6. 8 Classic Arkansas Trail Runs – Trail running is incredibly popular in Arkansas and with so many great trails and events to choose from, it’s no wonder this article was not only popular in Arkansas but got a lot of views from around the country. (total views: 1695)
5. Eureka Springs Parks To Build New Downhill Mountain Bike Recreation Area – Eureka Springs has been home to great mountain biking and events for years but they are stepping it up with new downhill facilities. Watch for more trail news from Eureka Springs this year. (total views: 1780)
4. Sleeping Under the Stars: Overnight Hikes in Arkansas – It’s a little cold right now for most folks but soon enough, Arkansas will have prime backpacking weather. Here is a popular list that our readers came up with. There is something here for everyone. (total views: 2126)
3. 6 Arkansas Winter Destinations – Every Fall and Winter this article becomes the go-to for those looking to enjoy Arkansas during the shorter, colder days. Of course, this is one of the best times to enjoy Arkansas. Find your favorite. (total views: 4551)
2. 5 Places You Want to Camp This Fall – While we have some time before we come around to Fall again, it’s never too early to start planning for those great Fall outdoor adventures. (total views: 12,253)
And the Number One Article from 2017…
1. 7 Favorite Day Hiking Trails in Arkansas – The trails of Arkansas are among the most beautiful and diverse in the country. Find out the top 7 recommended by our readers. Where will you be hiking in 2018? (total views: 30,860…WOW!)
Bring 2018 On!
So let’s look forward to 2018. There is a lot of outdoor fun to be had. Try out the 2018 Iron Ranger Challenge and keep in touch with Arkansas Outside as we bring you news of outdoor issues and events in the coming year. In the meantime, check out our Calendar of Events to find your next adventure.