Whether you are hiking, running or cycling on a trail in Arkansas, you are taking advantage of work performed by what are known as Trail Fairies. Arkansas Trail Fairies have been responsible for working with land managers, designing trails, building trails and maintaining trails for decades. Some of the work through fundraising activities to have trails professionally built, some of the work is the tiring work of convincing landowners/managers to support trails on their land and some is through strong backs wielding various types of tools from rakes to sledgehammers, weed-eaters to chainsaws.
Many of these fairies work alone while others prefer to work in groups. Through their hard work, Arkansas has developed some of the best trails in the country that can be enjoyed year-round. If you would like to lend a hand, help financially or just learn more about Arkansas Trail Fairies, visit these trail advocate websites:
- Ozark Off-Road Cyclists (OORC)*
- Friends of the Ouachita Trail (FoOT)
- The Trail Dogs
- Central Arkansas Trail Alliance (CATA)*
- River Valley OORC*
- NorthEast Arkansas Trail Organization (NEATO)
- Central Arkansas Off-road Group (COG)
- Friends of Syllamo Trail (FOST)
- Friends of Arkansas Single-Track (FAST)*
- Foothills Trail Alliance
- Frontier OORC*
- Arkansas Master Naturalists
* International Mountain Bicycling Association affiliates.
(photos ruthlessly stolen from the Facebook pages of the above groups.)