RUSSELLVILLE, Ark. – October 3, 2023—The USDA Forest Service is re-establishing the Southern Region Recreation Resource Advisory Committee (Recreation RAC) and is soliciting prospective nominees.
The purpose of the Recreation RAC is to provide recommendations on recreation fees for Forest Service lands within the states of Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Louisiana, Mississippi, North Carolina, Oklahoma, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Virginia, and the territory of Puerto Rico. The 11-member committee is expected to be formed by Summer 2024.
Potential nominees must represent certain Forest-related recreation interests as described in the Federal Lands Recreation Enhancement Act:
- Category One: Five people who represent recreation users, one in each position: camping, summer motorized, summer non-motorized, wildlife and nature viewing/viewing of interpretive sites, and hunting and fishing.
- Category Two: Three people who represent interest groups that include: outfitters and guides (two positions), and local environmental groups (one position).
- Category Three: Three people, one in each position: State tourism official, a person who represents affected local government interests, and a person who represents affected Indian tribes’ issues.
Per Department policy, a minimum of two applicants per vacancy is required. If more than one applicant qualifies in a required category, we will identify a primary and secondarily favored candidate. Applicants will be recommended to the Regional Forester for a three-year term appointment based on the following criteria:
• How the person is qualified to represent one or more of the interests listed above.
• Experience representing underserved populations.
• Why the person wants to serve on the committee and what they can contribute.
• Experience in successfully working in a group setting.
Nominees who demonstrate the ability to represent underrepresented groups, women, and persons with disabilities will be considered in membership selections. United States Department of Agriculture policies regarding equal opportunity will be followed.
Additional information about RACs and the Federal Lands Recreation Enhancement Act is available at the RAC website, https://www.fs.usda.gov/visit/passes-permits/recreation-resource-advisory-committees.
If you wish to submit potential nominees for the Recreation RAC, please contact Caroline Mitchell at 501-321-5318, or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Nomination packets will be sent to potential nominees and can also be found at http://www.fs.usda.gov/main/r8/recreation/racs. Applications must be submitted no later than December 1, 2023.